Sunday, July 8, 2012

AP Dread

Friday I found out that this year's AP scores are officially in the mail; in fact, a couple of my friends had already received their scores! Now this year was a pretty big year for me AP-wise. Last year I, the kid who read Wikipedia articles on ancient and medieval history while waiting for programs to download, had gotten a 4 on the World History exam. Suffice to say, that 4 hurt, and I did not want to feel that pain ever again. Thus, I set a goal to get a 5 on each of my five AP exams (I kept repeating to myself "Five AP exams, 5 fives!" every time I prayed/meditated). Well tomorrow's the day of truth, and I'm nervous...
Alas, come what may, I must say I thoroughly enjoyed my AP courses. English III was an eye-opening class in terms of rhetoric, and my teacher really helped me out throughout the year in a lot of ways (thanks Ms. Stelly!). Computer science also opened my eyes, for I will never complain about software developers ever again! However, AP Chemistry was by far the coolest class I took this year. Furthermore, since this is a science blog, I thought I’d share the rather odd Iranian cultural oddity I discovered in my chemistry class.
One of the fundamental concepts in chemistry is that of solubility, or how many moles of something, a solute, get dissolved into Xliters of something else, a solvent (usually water). Additionally, if you want a solvent to dissolve more solute than“normal”, then you’d have to raise the temperature of the solvent. A higher temperature, or average kinetic (moving) energy, means faster moving molecules that can disassociate (dissolve) easier. The opposite is true for gases. Raising the temperature of a solvent when trying to “dissolve” a gas would not increase solubility since the gas would actually evaporate away thanks to the higher temperature (think of the CO2 in cold coca-cola vs. that of hot coke).
            Today, I was making sour cherry juice when I remembered the counterintuitive way Iranians serve sour cherry juice. Sour cherry juice is a refreshing drink popularly served during the summer in Iran. Hosts/Hostesses pour sour cherry concentrate into ice-cold water and serve the undisturbed liquid to the guests—leaving the stirring to the guests. Now from a human perspective, everything makes sense: it’s hot, and you need something cold to drink, but from a chemical perspective, the whole thing is rather stupid. Why would create a solution with cold water when your solute is a liquid? THAT DOESN’T MAKE SENSE! The chemically-correct way would be to mix the concentrate into hot water, mix, and let the solution cool to room temperature before throwing in a couple of ice cubes when the host/hostess wants to serve the drink. The guests then don’t have to stir as much.
TL;DR: Iranians are counterintuitive when it comes to serving drinks. They force a cold solvent into dissolving a solute by raising the average kinetic energy of the molecules via stirring.

6 comments:

  1. The reason is, the amount of space needed. do u know how much space it takes if you mix it all with water and hold it in refrigerator??? :D do u have e tanker at home? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Psssh. Most Iranians have HUGE refrigerators! (my grandma has two! Though I know she's the exception...)

      Delete
    2. well think about how many jars you should have in your frig filled with juice, cause you are not gonna make this every week, its made once for life time :D or you might suggest using "dabbe", think about your grandma lifting these "Dabbes" :D
      Come on man! its not that hard to stir for 3 seconds :D

      Delete
    3. Hey, I was just making suggestions! I have nothing against stirring. I'm only trying to advance the cause of taarof!

      Delete
  2. and also be sure that anything your grandparents do is a result of years of experiment of our ancestors :D so it has a reason..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my dad's excuse for any critique of anything Iranian.

      Me: "My back hurts."
      Dad: "It has a cold."
      Me: "Wait what? How can my back have a cold?"
      Dad: "Wrap something warm around it. It's old medicine."
      Me: "That doesn't make sense!."
      Dad: "Your ancestors perfected this, stop whining!"

      Delete